Just Ask Paul
Paul Brancaleon, NADCA Director of Research, Education & Technology, will be live streaming Episode 7 at 12:00PM CDT June 29,2020.
Click here to register!
Remember you can continue to submit questions by clicking here.
Episode 6: June 1, 2020
Episode 5: May 11, 2020
Episode 5 List of Questions and Time Located in Video
1) We have experienced sludge build up in our launders during the extended shutdown, some plants experienced it earlier. We have cleaned the launders 1-2x per week and have maintained temperature. How does time effect the precipitation of sludge?
Time location: :30
2) We have a product that we are having die cast and then trying to get chrome plated. We have had four different platers try with very bad to only somewhat acceptable results. Can you tell us if a special alloy needs to be used or something else is required?The chrome keeps having bubbles develop under the copper layer.
Time location: 12:30
3) What are Additive Manufacturing processes and what are the machines that are being used for Additive Manufacturing for Die Casting applications?
Time location: 17:12
4) What is the correct operating range for A383 aluminum holding furnaces? Currently we run ours at + or - 15F. We are being asked to hold this to + or - 9F by one of our customers. Do you think there is a big difference in these ranges and if so, why?
Time location: 32:54
Episode 4: April 27, 2020
Episode 4 List of Questions and Time Located in Video
1) We have metal dripping from our ceramic ladles between the holder and shot sleeve pour hole, what are some techniques or other things that can be done to eliminate this issue?
Time location: 00:37
2) How many BTU's should you expect to remove with a volume (8 oz) of atomized die spray? Assume 12 second spray time 3 second close; 80°f spray 600°F die face 95% evaporates / 5% solids remain behind? Reasonable Estimates? Looking to have a rational measure of what we should be spraying on a die.
3)We do not seem to be able to get a good representation of the thermal condition when simulating ANVILOY. The steel temperature does not show very much variance between it and H-13. Is there a simulating package that will give a better indication of what the steel temperature is when simulating ANVILOY?
Time location: 30:34
4) What is the way to get rid of porosity?
Time location: 41:05
Episode 3: April 6, 2020
Episode 3 List of Questions and Time Located in Video
1) How can I verify automatically if the squeeze pin works properly?
Time location: 00:51
2) How effective is CT scanning of die cast aluminum parts (specifically regarding dimensional accuracy compared to CAD model)? Can you recommend a metrology company with this capability?
Time location: 04:55
3) Is there a "best practice", spec. for excising tensile bars from castings? Sizes? Rounds vs. Flats? Location? The easiest locations to machine tensile bars from castings is the thick sections. However, most of the time, tensile bars taken from these thick locations do not reflect the castings general mechanical properties.
Time location: 12:03
4) Our casting dies have several core pins that tend to break periodically. We rely on our machine operators to visually inspect their parts for this concern. Is there a more reliable method used in the HPDC industry for detecting broken core pins in the die, detecting the scrap parts, or detecting the steel in the as cast parts?
Time location: 20:18
5) Has there been work in the US on electrostatic dry lube coating and applicator for the HPDC process? References?
6) What is jet cooling and what situations is it used for?
Time location: 33:11
Episode 2: March 26, 2020
Episode 2 List of Questions and Time Located in Video
1) What is the state of additive manufacturing worldwide? How does the US compare to other countries?
Time location: 00:33
2)We have a leak test requirement on one of our die castings. Is there a common mechanism within die castings that causes a leak path to grow over time? We have struggled with castings that pass the specification originally, fail at our customer, and also fail when they send it back to us to recheck. What potential factors could come into play here?
Time location: 4:50
3) The cleanliness of Al ingot can be measured by Prefil/ PoDFA. How can inclusions be quantified/measured in the Al for structural components, for example, a shock tower?
Time location: 9:50
4) We use a 100gal water tank to quench aluminum die castings. We use soft water to fill the tank. Then, use a pump to circulate the water through a tube heat exchanger. The problem is that the heat exchanger and tank surfaces become built up with a "slime"/"gray?
Time location: 13:01
5) Is there any updated calculation for the gate area relative to the part weight and shape for structural castings versus traditional component castings?
Time location: 17:45
6) What is NADCA's opinion on Composite Toe vs Steel Toe Boots?
Time location: 21:20
7) Do you have an excel spreadsheet for Die Thermal calculation?
Time location: 23:15
Episode 1: March 20, 2020