Shiloh Industries, Inc. (NASDAQ: SHLO) is a leading global supplier of lightweighting, noise and vibration solutions to the automotive, commercial vehicle and industrial markets, capable of delivering solutions in aluminum, magnesium, steel and high strength steel alloys for original equipment manufacturers and suppliers.
Headquartered in Valley City, Ohio; Shiloh has nearly 3,100 dedicated employees with 28 locations for operations, sales and technical centers throughout Asia, Europe and North America. Visit www.shiloh.com for more information.
This position supervises the die cast die and trim die tooling, including the planning, development, deployment, and execution of tooling maintenance processes to achieve organizational objectives. The position continually improves the performance of tooling through improvement projects and promotes a predictive, not reactive, maintenance philosophy by taking a proactive approach to preventative maintenance and quality. This position oversees new tool builds and replacement tooling procurement, and sets inventory levels to assure tooling availability and performance.
This position, as well as others in the facility, must promote plant wide safety, housekeeping, visual management, and the implementation and sustainability of the Shiloh Production System.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Review production scheduling to prioritize and direct tooling maintenance and repair activities, including assigning tooling technician resources as necessary for all PM’s, routine service, and emergency repairs of tooling
• Fulfill supervisory responsibilities, in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws, including coordinating the duties and activities of tooling technicians to meet production needs
• Manage a tooling maintenance scheduling and tracking system that is visual, accurate, and adequate to meet all internal and external requirements.
• Use a data driven approach to tooling maintenance and repairs, which includes tracking shot counts and maintenance history, to predictively schedule necessary actions in order to minimize tooling cost per shot, scrap generation, and machine downtime
• Facilitate effective communication across all departments, and within the tooling maintenance department across a three shift operation, to share progress, status, and lessons-learned
• Responsible for contacting tooling vendors for repairs in a timely manner, and securing competitive quotes for repairs being performed
• Oversee all new tool builds and outside maintenance/repair activities on existing tools to ensure full compliance to the Shiloh Tooling Standards
• Collaborate with customers and engineering peers to ensure design for manufacturability of new programs
• Responsible for tracking tool life and submitting cavity replacement needs to support customer demand and insure product quality
• Responsible for meeting the monthly budgets for tooling repair, maintenance, and replacement
• Document and maintain maintenance logs for repair and maintenance activities by tool
• Regularly review dimensional reports on die cast tools to ensure full dimensional compliance to all internal and external requirements
• Provides engineering floor support on production die cast dies and trim tooling for advanced troubleshooting to minimize downtime and scrap
• Assists in the education and training of floor personnel to enhance employee ownership and quality improvement
• Assists in coordinating design and delivery of new machinery, tool & die handling equipment and miscellaneous supplies/tools to support tool room activities.
• Promotes a culture of safety and continuous improvement
• In accordance with SHILOH Leadership Standards, develop, measure, improve and achieve key measurable performance objectives including, but not limited to, the following:
o Cost of Quality
o Cost per Good Shot
o Die Cast Uptime
o On-Time Delivery
o Value Per Labor Hour
• Other duties may be assigned
This position provides supervision, leadership, and coaching of all Die Cast Tooling Technicians. Responsibilities include training, planning, assigning, and directing work. This position also supports management by rewarding and counseling employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems; interviewing and hiring; and appraising performance.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelors of Science degree in Engineering or related technical field; or equivalent combination three to five years of related experience and education and/or training.
Bachelors of Science degree in Engineering or related technical field and training and experience equal to journey-person level tool and die involving welding, dimensional troubleshooting and operation of machine tools and precision instruments.
Skills and Abilities
• Language Skills – Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical manuals, professional journals, and technical procedures, blueprints and layouts, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals, and log books. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, coworkers, and vendors concerning tooling or repairs.
• Math Skills - Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations. Advanced mathematical skills such as working with exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations and permutations, frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory and factor analysis is also preferred.
• Reasoning Ability – Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
• Computer Skills: Computer literate to write, read, and reply to e-mail. Excel and MS Project experience
• Read and interpret Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T)
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
None required. Prefer Six Sigma Greenbelt/Blackbelt certification and/or certificate in Lean Manufacturing.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand; be able to handle and / or feel objects, tools, or controls; and to communicate. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds, may occasionally lift over 75 pounds, in certain situations could be required to push/pull 300 pounds or more. Vision abilities required by this job are the same as required for a driver’s license in the state in which the person lives, and will be demonstrated by maintaining that license.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will likely have a mix of office and shop-floor environments, while extended periods of work in either environment may be necessary. Working on the shop floor exposes the employee near moving mechanical parts and could include extreme heat, fumes, and airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. This position is required to wear protective clothing and equipment designated in procedures and work instructions.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. All job functions are subject to modification.
*Shiloh Industries does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or offers of recruiting service associated with any published or unpublished employment opportunities. Any unsolicited information sent to any member within Shiloh Industries will be considered as unencumbered and free from any fee or charge whatsoever. Only members of our Talent Acquisition Team have authority to engage or authorize recruiting services.
Position located at:
250 Adams Street
Alma, MI 48801
Interested candidates can contact Jeff Weissert – Talent Acquisition Specialist at email@example.com